Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Aloha to Library Book Sales!


Aloha! I am frantically cleaning house as my mother arrives tomorrow night! Once she's adjusted to the time change, we'll tour the island ... and we'll share the pictures with you!

Meanwhile, I share pictures from the last book sale hosted by the Hickam Library Friends. Look at these fabulous books!


Left is the HAWAIIAN AIRLINES FLIGHT ATTENDANT COOK BOOK, published in 1993. Right are great recipes for tropical cookies ... a challenge for my ongoing diet!


Check out these vintage books about the nursing adventures of Cherry Ames. These books are dated June 1944. From THE CHERRY AMES PAGE (at this link),

Read all about the job-hopping, mystery-solving nurse who starred in a popular juvenile series by Helen Wells and Julie Tatham, published by Grosset & Dunlap between 1943 and 1968.

Ready to support the War Effort!

Looking for adventure!


Have you found an gems at library sales or gently read book shops? One randomly selected commenter wins a book choice from my convention stash. This giveaway is open to all readers. Comments are open through Saturday, August 11, 10 pm in Hawaii. I'll post the winner on Sunday, August 12.

Mahalo,

Kim in Hawaii

Look what else I found!

16 comments:

  1. What great books. I have found some gems for my job at library book sales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Woodstock, we have a fantastic used book store, when I bring in 10 books I can exchange for any 3 book I want. I visit at least every 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of library sales in Italy. There is an antique shop in my town & it has a basket full of old Harlequin books, but I have never bought anything because I don't like used books. I'm extremely careful with my paperbacks. By the way, I have Sarah Wendell's book as well. Since I don't read SBTB on a daily basis, from time to time I like to pick it up & read a couple of pages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have here a book shop where they buy and sell books or exchange your book to any of their books. I was able to buy the old version of Kathleen E. Woodiwiss' books. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have some of those oldies. Unfortunately, the pages start falling out and coloring. I use to go to a local charity store that sold used books but I'm not able to control myself so I've stopped going lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found a copy of Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier that was published in 1960 and sold for 35 cents. It's still in pretty good condition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found a great book about Michelangelo at the Strand used
    bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have two wonderful USB that I go to....my gem that I found a copy of Sweet Savage Love from the 70's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have a Friends of the Library bookstore next door to the library here in town. I love it. I always seem to find a book or magazine whenever I'm there. And the people who volunteer their time there are great. Kim: have a great visit with your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was actually a library sale that started my addiction to romance novels. I came across one of Lynsay Sands vampire books at one, and it looked like something I would enjoy so I bought it. At that time, I had not read any romances since my teens. Well, I loved it and moved on to reading all the rest of the books in this series, then moving to her historicals that I could find. From there it was on to other authors and has cost me unknown amounts of money. But reading did help me quit smoking. Each day I would think about how much money I had saved that I could spend on books :) I actually celebrated not smoking for 6 months by buying my first ereader. It has been almost 20 months and I will never smoke again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have not checked lately, great finds whoo
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love used-book sales. Once I found two 1950s hand-illustrated German story books for my daughter (the college German minor.) They were a steal!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've found a couple nice books.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't been to very many library book sales. I need to pay more attention to finding them! Enjoy the time with your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Finding books that I may want to read at library sales would be a success for me so yes, I have found some gems :) Definitely love going to library sales because not only am I able to find some gently used books for cheap, all proceeds would support the library as well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i haven't go any library book sales

    ReplyDelete