Sunday, August 19, 2012

Aloha to the Big Island of Hawaii - Kailua Kona!


We have a winner from last week's blogs - Betty H!   My family hopped over to the Kona Coast on the Big Island of Hawaii.  First stop - the historic town of Kailua!
 

Kailua is home to the Hulihe'e Palace ...


... one of three Royal Palaces in Hawaii.
The only palaces in the USA!
  

Across the street is the first church in Hawaii.

 

Driving south out of Kailua along Ali'i Drive,
we found the Ku'emanu Heiau.

 
Possibly dedicated to surfing, the heiau
offers breathtaking views.


Have you visited a Royal Palace, anywhere in the world?  One randomly selected commenter from this week's blogs wins a book choice from my convention stash.  This giveaway is open to all readers.  Comments are open through Saturday, August 25, 10 pm in Hawaii.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, August 26.

Mahalo,

Kim in Hawaii


16 comments:

  1. The Khmer palace great wtgbwinners
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did visit Windsor Castle in England. It is so beautiful. I also saw one in St Petersburg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Betty! :)

    I've never visited a palace but there is a place here called the Biltmore House that is like a French manor house. I'll leave a link for anyone interested in checking it out. Such a beautiful place to spend the day!

    What beautiful places you have been sharing with us. Love to arm chair travel :)

    http://www.biltmore.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, Betty!

    No, I have never visited a palace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I have never visted a palace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, never been to any royal palace. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, I have not been to a royal palace anywhere. I'm sure it would be really interesting to visit one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In Edinburgh, I saw the Palace of Holyroodhouse, the official residence of the UK monarch when in Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I visited Holyrood palace in Edinburgh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have yet to visit a royal palace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations, Betty! Have never visited a palace. Wonderful pictures, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats, Betty. Yes, in France and England.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never been to any type of royal palace.

    ReplyDelete
  14. royal palace, i think i have not

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats Betty H!

    Nope, I have not visited any royal palace...

    ReplyDelete