Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Aloha to the USS Carl Vinson





We interrupt Jane's visit to Oahu with the arrival of the USS Carl Vinson - a Nimitz class aircraft carrier.  The carrier called on Pearl Harbor on its return home to San Diego.

The carrier positions to enter the channel ... 

... with a tug boat in front and behind.

It is an awesome sight ...

... to see the sailors man the rails.

The Navy whites are so handsome ... 

... even from a distance!
  
The carrier continues to its berth ...

... at Hotel Pier!

My inlaws also took pictures at the channel mouth ... then drove over to Ford Island to watch the carrier render a salute to the USS Arizona.   The carrier moves faster than expected!  They walked to the end of the USS Missouri's pier and took pictures of the carrier moving into its pier (to the right).  The picture below offers the panoramic view that greets the sailors in Pearl Harbor.


ndu.edu


What is the largest ship you have visited and/or sailed?  One randomly selected commenter from this week's blogs wins a book choice from my convention stash.  This giveaway is open to all readers.  Comments are open through Saturday, May 19, 10 pm in Hawaii.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, May 20.


Mahalo,


Kim in Hawaii


dodlive.mil



19 comments:

  1. Great Pics Kim. I don't count the US Naval station Norfolk VA as a vist, so the largest ship I've every set foot on was the USS Constitution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to say Mighty Mo was the biggest. Before we left Hawaii the Mighty Mo had berthed there. We toured the ship. Of course we toured the Arizona, the movie always gave me deep thoughts. I loved Hawaii and if I could grow wings and fly I'd be knocking on your front door. After I called for directions, lol. Hugs Kim thank you for sharing all of the beautiful things in Hawaii. Glad you're staying there a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures. I would love to see that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never sailed a ship except for a speed boat and a Ferry.
    Love the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ever sailed on a ship or even look a ship directly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these pictures Kim. Especially that last one. What a great sight that must have been. :)
    I've never bee on any boat other then a Ferry and a motorboat.
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures. My cousin just came home on that ship. He is stationed in Honolulu, he has served his time and now he is going to college next. He will be back in Iowa soon, in less than a month. I have not seen him for a couple of years now. I did not realize how big those ships were. Thanks for the great book and author recommendations.
    christinebails@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never been on a ship. I would probably just get motion sick! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've sailed on a ship when I was still a kid, but I've totally forgotten about it. But my most memorable was when me and my friends got aboard M/V Logos Hope. A floating bookstore. We enjoyed our brief tour inside the ship. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Neat - really neat. A couple of the sailors were out of ranks - one was waving & one had his hands on his hips which I hope his Chief or DO didn't see -- but all in all, It is an amazing siter to see a carrier (Bird Farm) come into port & anchor

    For those who may read this and see the Bird Farm mention - we call carriers Bird Farms because she carries Planes (Birds) and they are Birds to Naval personnel;;

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful pictures. We took a cruise a long time ago on La Boheme which I thought was large at the time but the ones now a days are gigantic. And thanks for the Bird Farm explanation :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. In Sep 2009 I traveled from PA up the St Lawrence into Canada on a Norwegian liner but don't remember name of ship. We docked in 5 or 6? cities including both Canadian and US cities and went sightseeing. Was a great cruise.

    misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw the movie Battleship last night and I can't look at these picture and NOT think of that movie. It was much better than expected!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The biggest boat was probably a ferry.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A ferry in Vancouver damn hot pics love sailors whoo, Ty
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL - the largest ship I have ever sailed on was....The USS Carl Vinson!! No, I wasn't in the Navy but my brother-in-law was and I was able to go on a dependants cruise for a full day. Was an amazing experience for me.

    This is Gypsy from RT Reviews!! Can't post any other way than anonymous!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We've sailed on some pretty big cruise ships, but we also toured the USS Stennis when it was here in port and it is one big ship!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Never been on a big ship or sailed on one.

    ReplyDelete