Friday, June 28, 2013

Honoring the DMZ - Tunnel No. 3


Our tour of the DMZ took us to the Third Tunnel.   South Korea discovered several tunnels under the border which would have provided North Korea the opportunity to initiate a surprise attack.   South Korea discovered Tunnel Number 3 in October 1978 with information provided by a North Korean defector.



We were not allowed to take a camera into the tunnel ... but a door was open so I could photograph the hard hats required.



We walked down a 350 meter ramp to the tunnel.  The tunnel runs another 20 meters to where the South Koreas blocked.


South Korea still strives for unification. 


The tunnel center also offers an informative museum of the Korean Conflict.



Next stop:  Dora Observatory.

Mahalo,

Kim in Korea


11 comments:

  1. I am always so amazed at the articles you have shared with us. I have never seen anything like these places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Pics... Dora Observatory? The first thing that came to mind was Boots and Dora!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the photo of the striving for unification. It's so interesting about the tunnels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures and love getting the 'history'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has to be the best history lesson your boys (and us) will ever have - so much better than dry history books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if there are some undiscovered tunnels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good history lesson today--I didn't know all that. Thanks, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet that was intriguing to see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the statue showing how they are trying to get the two halves of the country back together again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am learning my each post....
    Ann.

    ReplyDelete