Tuesday offered the Book Blogger Conference hosted by Sarah Wendell (Smart Bitches) and Jane Litte (Dear Author).
It was an informal affair where Sarah asked (paraphrase), "Talk as much as you listen". Here is a sample of suggestions offered by the other bloggers:
- Book Likes is an alternative to Goodreads.
- Options to self host (to migrate away from restrictions of Blogger and Wordpress).
- Make sure your blog layout is appealing to readers.
- Consider a "fresh look" for your blog.
- View your blog from an older PC and even smart phone to ensure all elements are visible.
- The image behind your blog should be less than 10% so it doesn't distract the reader from the content.
- "I have the book for you".
- Late reviews (i.e., reviews posted some time after book publiciation) are still welcome as they promote sales of backlists.
- Attacking the author (in lieu of reviewing the book) does not convey a professional attitude. The publishers are open to criticisms of the writing, but not unprofessional behavior towards authors, other reviews, and even readers.
- Offer recipes to "feed the trolls".
Harlequin hosted a cocktail party with delicious nibbles and goodie bags!
Hats off to Sarah and Jane for the warm welcome and helpful mentorship! Do you have any advice to offer bloggers? One randomly selected commenter from this week's blogs wins a book choice from my convention stash. Comments are open through Saturday, May 24, 10 pm in Baltimore. I'll post the winner on Sunday, May 25, at SOS Aloha.
Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spiriti in Charm City
|Tamara Argyle, Sara Humphreys, and a reader|
enjoy the Sock Hop on Tuesday night.