Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Aloha to Historic Hotels in Waikiki



During my mother's visit, she read MONK GOES TO HAWAII.  She enjoyed it for its humor and its references to Hawaii's landmarks.  In the book, Monk and Natalie lunched at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel.  So we visited it and other historic hotels in Waikiki.

Everything is pink at the Royal Hawaiian,
including the beach umbrellas ....

.... and the Christmas tree!

My family enjoys the trees outside ... 


... and look up to see the Top of Waikiki -
a rotating restaurant.

We lunched next door at Duke's.
Above, Duke with Babe Ruth.

Duke's overlooks Diamond Head.
Next to Duke's is the Moana Surfrider -
the first hotel in Honolulu.
   
The Surfrider is full of Hawaiian charm.

Barbara admired its beautiful tree!

No trip to Honolulu would be complete without a
stop at Hilo Hattie's!   She is a hula dancer turned
entrepreneur with her "Store of Hawaii."


My family is too small for the 400X shirt ... 
  
... which has its own record!


I am giving away a 2012 Hawaiian calendar (from Hilo Hattie's) to one randomly selected commenter. This giveaway is open to all readers. Comments open through Tuesday, January 10, 10 pm in Hawaii. I'll post the winner on Wednesday, January 11, when I'll resume my regular once-a-week posts.

Mahalo,

Kim in Hawaii


Barbara enjoyed Waikiki Beach at the
Hale Koa - House of the Warrior.

6 comments:

  1. How lucky you are to have these beautiful places in your backyard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been to Hilo HAtties., It is a neat place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun to stop by the Hawaiian hotels during the Christmas season. I'm sure they are fun to walk through anytime of the year, but the holiday decorations are always nice to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm...don't think I have ever seen a pink Christmas tree! One of these days we will have to come back to Oahu and stand next to that shirt...we will probably come up to the bottom button, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've shopped there, too, but bought most of my souvenirs at the ABC stores.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete