Sunday, March 22, 2015

Aloha to Historical Authors (part 1) - Getting Ready for the RT Booklovers Convention


My favorite genre is historical romance ... and I will be attending several panels with historical authors at the RT Booklovers Convention (link), including ....


HISTORICAL: Writing the Authentic Historical for the Modern Reader

Balancing the tastes and expectations of the modern reader while crafting historically accurate romances has never been more of a challenge. Join these panelists for a frank chat about what to leave out, when to bend the facts and which rules — if any — are inviolable. Learn the secrets successful historical authors employ to craft historical romances that appeal to the reader in 2015 and beyond.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 3:45pm to 4:45pm

Shana Galen
Tessa Dare
Sophie Jordan
Lauren Willig


I am giving away a book choice from this week's blogs.  To enter the giveaway,

1.  How much historical accuracy do you like in your romance novels?

2.  Comments ar open through Saturday, March 28, 10 pm in Baltimore.

3.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, March 29.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City



13 comments:

  1. I like some accuracy, but, at the end of the day, if the story is well written and holds my attention, then I'm a happy camper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enough for me
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I would expect a bit of accuracy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to learn from my reading so I expect more from historicals and hope it's accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it to be accurate. I have read some with blaring errors and it throws me out of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're doing my workshop research for me, Kim! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kim! I hope you have a great time at the RT Booklovers convention and I can't wait for you to let us all know all the details!

    You already know that I love reading historical romance and I think that one reason is that most authors that I read are able to include enough of accurate information of the time period while keeping their stories interesting by making us really connect with their characters while including some scenes that may not be historically accurate but at the same time help us to see the characters and time period that the story is written from a unique point of view!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like historical references to be pretty accurate - I often get curious and look things up to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am reader who likes lots of historical details and accuracy.The culture, laws, technology, and social rules all effect how people must act and what their relationships will be. Some rules can be bent a bit without ruining the story. A story that can be dropped into any time or place and be the same is a bit to generic for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. don't really matter to me

    ReplyDelete
  11. As long as the story progresses quickly and becomes a page turner is what interests me the most. Accuracy is important but not necessary.

    ReplyDelete