Saturday, October 6, 2012

Aloha to Maui - Krispy Kreme, Iao Valley, and Royal Kahana



We have a winner from last week - BN100 wins a Maui 2013 calendar!   We visited Maui - the Valley Isle - for Fall Break.   First stop - Krispy Kreme!   Maui hosts one of the few places to buy them hot off the assembly line!  We enjoyed apple fritters (left) and chocolate bars (right).  



Pumped up on sugar, we headed to Waiehu Beach for Maui's archaeological sites.  From Hawaii Web (at this link),


Haleki'i and Pihanakalani Heiau are two of Maui's most accessible archeological sites. The lava foundation is the remains of these ancient heiaus, or Hawaiian temples, originally built in 1240. On occasion, some of these temples were used to perform human sacrifices to pay homage to the ancient gods.




It is thought that Pihanakalani Heiau is probably the last site where Kamehameha I performed such sacrifices on Maui as a tribute to the war god, Ku. These heaius were reconstructed in 1958 and are on the National and State Registry of Historic Places. 




A deep sense of ancient Hawaiian history fills this site and makes the visit very worthwhile. The views of Wailuku and Kahului are also spectacular from this area.




The heiau guard the entrance to the Iao Valley.




Also from Hawaii Web (at this link),


The lovely, deep valley of 'Iao features the 'Iao Needle, a natural rock pinnacle presiding over the 'Iao stream and surrounded by the walls of the Pu'u Kukui Crater. Once used as a natural altar, the 2,250-foot stone pillar, covered in green foliage, is really a basaltic core that has survived eons of swirling water. 'Iao Valley is a peaceful lush area with easy hikes, exotic tropical plants, and clear, natural pools. The ridge-top lookout offers a fantastic view of the valley and Kahului Harbor.




'Iao Valley is a peaceful lush area with easy hikes, exotic tropical plants, and clear, natural pools. The ridge-top lookout offers a fantastic view of the valley and Kahului Harbor.




'Iao Valley is the site of one of the most famous and bloody battles that changed Hawaii history forever. On this site, In 1790, King Kamehameha I destroyed the Maui army in his effort to unite the Hawaiian Islands.




The battle site is called Kepaniwai, "the damming of the waters", as the fallen soldiers and their slaughtered families littered the 'Iao Stream.





Today, the stream offers recreation to Hawaiian ohana (families).



Everyone gets into the water!




Despite its bloody history, the 'Iao Valley has returned to its serene setting.




We descended down the valley and followed the coastal route to our condo at the Royal Kahana - north of Ka'anapali.



What's your favorite doughnut?  One randomly selected commenter from this week's blogs wins a book choice from my convention stash.  This giveaway is open to all readers.  Comments are open through Saturday, October 13, 10 pm in Hawaii.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, October 14.

Mahalo,

Kim in Hawaii

Paddle boarding outside our condo.

16 comments:

  1. When I used to live near a Krispy Kreme, I really liked their seasonal/special doughnuts. My all-time favorite though is Boston cream: custard-filled, chocolate glazed, and not a cake doughnut.

    I would have to hike like you did to walk off the calories though. But the hiking trails around here aren't nearly as cool as those in Hawaii.

    ironss [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite is Maple frosted from Dunkin Donuts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Bavarian and Boston Cream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite is the apple fritter followed by a chocolate on chocolate donunt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite is the Cinnamon/sugar which are hard to find. Next fav is the chocolate..
    One day I hope to visit Hawaii and see all the wonders in person.

    Thanks for the opportunity to enter giveaway.

    misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh, I love the donuts pics. :) That makes me hungry actually. I like the Chocolate and caramel ones.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish that we still had a Krispy Kreme near us. They pulled it down, and built a Bank. UGH!!!

    I actually have two favorite doughnuts that I love. One is the Maple Frosted and the other is one filled with Raspberry Jam.

    The pictures of Maui are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like custard-filled and jam filled donuts the best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats to BN100! My favorite doughnut is a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting followed by glazed doughnuts. We have Krispy Kreme here but I've never been to one of their stores. I really love Dunkin Donuts (chocolate munchkins!)but don't go there either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I had to pick just one I would say Boston cream but I like most donuts and pastries - those fritters look scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It has been so long since I had a donut but I did love Boston Creams

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like chocolate donuts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. On occasion, some of these krispy kreme rap temples were used to perform human sacrifices to pay homage to the ancient gods.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete