Sunday, October 28, 2012

Aloha to Bellows Beach


Aloha!  We have a winner from last week's posts - Kim H!   Best wishes to the East Coast as they prepare for Hurricane Sandy.   Let me offer you serene pictures as you weather the storm.  Above are wild flowers that grow just past the sand dunes at Bellows Beach - a recreation center for military personnel on Oahu's East Coast.  



Looking southward, the Makapu'u Peninsula jets out near Sandy Beach.  The uninhabited islet to the left is Mānana Island - "buoyant" island.  Mānana is a marine bird sanctuary. 



Looking northward is the recreation center.  I was walking along the "public beach" that is closed during the week for the Marines practice their assault landings.   On the weekend, the "public beach" reopens to all - Hawaiians love to bring their families for overnight camping adventures!


Because the public beach was closed, I only found one companion ... a coconut!  No Marines to be found!



This patch of green is my marker to leave the beach and walk back into the recreation center via the front gate.   Do you have a favorite place to walk, think, and reflect?  One randomly selected commenter wins a book choice from my convention stash.  This giveaway is open to all readers.  Comments are open through Saturday, November 3, 10 pm in Hawaii.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, November 4.

Mahalo,


Kim in Hawaii







16 comments:

  1. I love to go on walks into the forest and there is a very small water falls I like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like parks in general. It is relaxing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't have any nice parks, or even any forests here. So, I have to do my reflecting when I'm in bed at night.

    Thank you for posting such beautiful pics Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Kim. We have a park nearby with lots of woods and occasionally I walk it with a friend. Other than that, I have a covered porch in the back with trees which is a nice place to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No big parks, here, thanks for picking me whoo
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to walk and think at the beach, or at the bay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't really have a favorite place to reflect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats to the winner! I have to admit that I never reflect either!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like to walk from our office to this huge mall passing a very famous monastery after a tiring day at work. It's the perfect time to think and rethink what I did during that day (specially a very bad day).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats, Kim H!

    We have several parks that I like to take walks in. I wish I could do that today but it's raining and it's cold. Soon it will be very windy but we will miss the worst of Hurricane Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations, Kim! :)

    I head for the hill here when I want my peaceful walks. There are several waterfalls and trails through the mountains that bring me peace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the best place to walk to around here is up in the mountains. Mt Charleston in the winter time is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are fabulous photos, Kim!! None of our parks here could compare with the terrific scenes you captured. No need to enter me in the drawing, just wanted to say I love your new FB page and I'm glad that you're still posting gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats Kim H!

    As for favourite place to walk, that would be just around my neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love to go to one of our beautiful beaches or parks foe some quiet time. Thats hard with two smsll kids! Lol!

    ReplyDelete