Monday, October 8, 2012

Aloha to Maui - Dragon's Teeth



Maui is famous for its Road to Hana in the southeast corner of the island.  Since we stayed in the northwest corner, we found a "new" road ... to Dragon's Teeth.    




From Hawaii Web (at this link),

Makalua-puna was created from one of the last lava flows on Maui. However, the lava here is a little different from the rest of the lava on Maui - it is much lighter, denser, and fine-grained. The wind sweeping over the point caused the lava to harden in an upward fashion. The jagged points of this formation look like dragon's teeth, thus the name.



Hundreds of years of salt spray has whitened the lava and even eroded holes through some areas.


 

Nearby is the Honokahu Burial Site ...


... where generations of Hawaiians were buried since 620 AD.  


The cove offers a scenic point ...


... for generations to come. 


Have you seen any "dragons" on your travels?  One randomly selected commenter from this week's blogs wins a book choice from my convention stash.  This giveaway is open through Saturday, October 12, 10 pm in Hawaii.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, October 13.

Mahalo,


Kim in Hawaii



Sunset from our condo ...
with Moloka'i in the distance.

14 comments:

  1. I can almost feel the trade winds! I was fascinated to learn that the song 'Puff, the Magic Dragon' had its origins there on the islands, having never made the connection until we visited Kauai and realized that Hanalei actually did have something that looked like a dragon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to visit Hawaii. Everyone that i have know that has visited there says that it was their best vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures. Love the story. The only dragon I saw was a Komodo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos again. :) Not sure about dragons but I saw tons of pics of it when I was in China.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I have not seen any dragons. But, I hope to someday when we travel to Harry Potter world in Florida. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only in movies and my imagination and like Debby, Komodo dragons in the zoo lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't seen any dragons, even in a zoo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't say that I've seen any dragons.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been to a few zoos with Komodo Dragons. Does that count? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. No i have not m great pics
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice pics. Haven't seen any.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your pictures Kim....no I've never seen a dragon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've seen dragon statues and things in Chinatown, as well as the dragon dance near Chinese New Years :)

    ReplyDelete