Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Aloha to Miami - Vizcaya Musuem and Gardens (part 1)


During my recent trip to Miami, I dropped off my son and his friend at South Beach ... and I headed over to the Vizcaya Museum and Gardens.  It's front entrance is unassuming ... hiding a gem within. From its website (link),

The planning and construction of Vizcaya lasted over a decade, from 1910 to 1922. Deering modeled his estate after a centuries’-old Italian country villa. This involved the large-scale purchase of European antiques and the design of buildings and landscapes to accommodate them. At the same time, Deering a modern businessman, incorporated twentieth-century building methods and technologies at Vizcaya, and established agricultural facilities relevant to his background as a manufacturer of farm equipment.



Before entering the house, I noticed activity behind the garden gates ... 


... a fashion photo shoot!


Vizcaya is perfect for haute couture!


The museum does not allow pictures inside the house ... 


... the remaining pictures focus on the gardens. 


The gardens feature French, Italian, and Spanish architecture ...


... with Greek, Roman, and Persian influences!


The Roman god Janus enjoys views from the front and back!


This stairway reminds of China in which the Emperor walked in the center aisle with his advisers to one side and generals to the other. 


No garden is complete with a waterfall.



I found another photo shoot ... QuinceaƱera!  


Notice what she was wearing under her fancy dress!  She reminded me of the bride who wore sneakers under her wedding dress in Steve Martin's FATHER OF THE BRIDE. 


What are your favorite brand of sneakers?  Mine is New Balance. One randomly selected commenter from this week's posts wins a book choice from my convention stash. Comments are open through Saturday, June 4, 10 pm in Baltimore. I'll post the winner on Sunday, June 5, at SOS Aloha.

Mahalo,


Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit n Charm City

My office bag engages in Roman philosophy ...

9 comments:

  1. I have no favorite, as long as they fit nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics. I can't remember the last time I wore sneakers. Mostly I wear sandles in summer and slip ons or boots in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine is New Balance as well. They fit me the best. I visited the Vizcaya when I was in Miami helping to process the Cuban/Haitian refugees. It was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really wear sneakers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've gotten a couple pair of really comfortable slip on sketchers - very lite weight

    ReplyDelete