Saturday, September 13, 2014

Aloha to New England - Happy Hanscom



Last week, hubby and I flew up to New England for a mini-vaca.  We stayed outside Boston to take in the local sights, including Hascom AFB, my first duty assignment.   Hanscom began as a flying base in May 1941.   Above is F86 Sabre from the Korean War.  To the right is the running track which hosted the annual 24 hour run to raise funds for charity (we'll come back to that).



During my assignment from 1988 - 1992, Hanscom was home to Electronics Systems Division. Above are my roommates - I'm on the right.   



I worked in the AWACS Program Office - the plane with radar that looks like a frisbee atop an airplane.   



Hanscom is a small base so most folks know each other, leading to the nickname Happy Hanscom.  



Hanscom's only aircraft are static displays, including the P51 Mustang, a WWII era pursuit aircraft.



The Stump Jumper sits across the street from a park with a bench memorializing Captain Michael Neuner.
  

Michael lead us in many charitable endeavors, including the 24 hour charity run.  


When he passed away from cancer in 1991, we decided to honor his memory.   



From 1992, General Fornell (and me) unveiling the bench ...



... and kicking off the 24 hour charity run.   Our visit to Hascom brought back many memories.   I am giving away a book choice from my convention stash to one randomly selected commenter from this week's blogs.  To enter the giveaway,

1.  Have you visited New England?  

2.  Comments are open through Saturday, September 20, 10 pm in Baltimore.

3.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, September 21.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

Below is Michael (holding baton) leading the 24 hour charity run ....





10 comments:

  1. I live in New England and have been to Boston many times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only driven past it. I would love to see the sights in Boston.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have not but would like to
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved being stationed at Hanscom AFB! It really has a small town feel and is surrounded by very quaint, historical towns on all sides.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been to New England, but it's on my "bucket list". Love all the pics Kim. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I've been to New England many, many times and live in upstate NY for most of my life. I went to junior college in Boston. I love New England.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't been there but I'd love to visit! Thanks for sharing the pictures and Michael's story. May he continue to rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful tribute, well done Kim!
    Kelly (Mike's brother)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never been to New England. Harrisburg, PA is the furthest north I've been on the Eastern side of the US. Your visit sounds like a wonderful trip down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete