Friday, July 6, 2012

Aloha to Kaua'i - Coconut Coast and Kukui Heiau





After exploring the Wailua River, we retreated to our condo at an Outrigger Resort near the "Coconut Coast".  The Coconut Coast is so named for the coconut trees planted by William Lindeman in 1896.  




He intended to harvest the coconut oil, but it was too costly to produce.  The trees gave way to another industry - tourism.


The grove served as the backdrop
for Elvis' BLUE HAWAII.
 


The beach cove in front of our condo.


Looking back to the Wailua River.




The condo property is home to the Kukui Heiau (temple).   From the Outrigger Website,

The Kukui Heiau, which measures about 70 feet by 230 feet, is located on a point called Lae Ala Kukui on the grounds of Lae nani. It is believed that ancient Hawaiians used Kukui Heiau in a navigational capacity. By burning oil from kukui nuts in large stone lamps, signal fires were created to guide canoes voyaging between islands to the safety of Wailua.





Do you have a favorite "oldie" movie, such as BLUE HAWAII?  One randomly selected commenter wins a book choice from my convention stash.  This giveaway is open to all readers.  Comments are open through Saturday, July 7, 10 pm in Hawaii.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, July 8.


Mahalo,


Kim in Hawaii

Elvis in BLUE HAWAII

13 comments:

  1. I love the movie Enemy Mine. It was never a big box office hit, but it shows how enemies can become friends/family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lady Eve... with Henry Fonda and Barbara Stanwyck. It's the best romantic comedy that I can think of... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i had a bad memory to remember name and title arghhh.. but i'm sure i have one

    ReplyDelete
  4. My all time favorite oldie is "Barefoot in the Park" with Robert Redford & Jane Fonda. It's funny, very romantic & the best "opposites attract" movie I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say The Parent Trap with Brian Keith and Maureen O'Hara. Love that movie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say I loved Blue Hawaii. I got the sound track and use to play it to the point that I knew all the words lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love The Blue Dahlia and Dial M For Murder.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love The January Man with Kevin Kline and The Bone Collector with Denzil Washington.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Princess Bride counts right ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't really think of a movie before the 80's that I love, but I guess one of my faves, that I have watched way too many times to count is SILENCE OF THE LAMBS....that's not weird, right? lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty woman,
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty Woman :)

    veranika_ursula@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete