Friday, August 15, 2014

Aloha to Florida - University of South Florida


We visited the University of South Florida, located in North Tampa.   The USF mascot is the bull.


I laughed at this mini beach on campus ... when the real thing is about an hour away in Clearwater Beach.  


My son is interested in engineering, so we spend time on the science side of the sprawling campus.


The guide asked us what the "sculpture" represented - I replied Mickey Mouse.   But my son knew each cluster was water molecules - two parts hydrogen, one part oxygen for H2O.


Phi Mu Alpha is a fraternity for music students ... I just like the cat!


We also visited the AFROTC Detachment 158, where I received my commission many moons ago (after graduating from the University of Tampa).   I asked about The Leaky Faucet helmet - it is awarded to the the most improved cadet.

Do you have a favorite school mascot?  One randomly selected commenter from this week's blogs wins a book choice from my convention stash. Comments are open through Saturday, August 16, 10 pm in Baltimore.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, August 17.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

Andrew with the USF Bull!

9 comments:

  1. No favorite school mascots for me, as we didn't have these back in my school days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ilike bears, and gators
    Can't wait for football
    Thanks
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm partial to my Alma Mater, the Bisons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the Virginia Tech Hookie because it is so very strange.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our high school mascot was a tiger and another good one is the Nittany Lions of Penn State.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kim! I must admit I don't have a favorite school mascot but my favorite place to eat in Tampa is Bern's Steak House! We first discovery it on our honeymoon back in 1970's and they even gave us tour of the kitchen where you could pick out you're what you wanted and then they would cut the beef to exactly the type and how much and how thick you wanted it!

    While we have only made it back to Tampa twice since then both times we went to Bern's Steak House for dinner!

    If you missed going this time be sure to try to make it the next time you're there - you won't be disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. To be honest, I haven't paid any attention to the mascots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the first time i read your blog and admire that you have posted on this...I really found useful.Keep updated.

    ReplyDelete