Thursday, April 4, 2013

Scenes from the North Shore - Opana Radar, Turtle Bay, and Kawela Bay



After licking our fingers at Ted's Bakery (at this link), we ventured down Kamehameha Highway towards Turtle Bay.    It was a sunny day ... the horses found shade under the palm trees.   Notice the white domes on the mountain crest.    



The white domes are the modern version of radar antennas installed in November 1941.  The radar identified blips on December 7, 1941.  But the blips were dismissed as the B17s expected from California (link).



We stopped at a fruit stand with homegrown treats ... 



... on our way to Turtle Bay Resort!   The resort has been featured in H50 (old and new), Magnum PI, Lost, and Forgetting Sarah Marshall.    



We parked next to the stables and followed the shore to Kawela Bay ...  



... where we found another WWII relic - a pillbox!



After failing to scale a steep slope to the Lanikai Pillbox (link), I felt satisfied having reached this one!
  

My kids, however, stated it was not the same!



Walking back to the stables, we met the horseback tour!



The stables are home to more than horses!


What would you do at the Turtle Bay Resort - swim in the pool?  surf in bay?  hike to the pillbox?  ride horseback on the beach?  One randomly selected commenter from this week's blogs wins a book choice from my convention stash.  This giveaway is open to all readers.  Comments are open through Saturday, April 6, 10 pm in Hawaii.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, April 7, at The Reading Reviewer (link).


Mahalo,


Kim in Hawaii 



Beauty on the beach




14 comments:

  1. Beach! I want to go the beach, it's so hot in our place! @_@

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is so much beauty there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would definitely check out the fruit stands and bring them along as Iexplore the relics and the seashore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Probably just swim and relax in the pool... not a big nature girl unless I am looking at photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Horseback riding on the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to walk the beaches and generally explore where I could.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd most enjoy walking on the beach. Love the pics. I notice your oldest is sporting a Texas Rangers cap!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd like to walk on the beach and ride the horses and maybe hike to the pillbox. I can feel the spray from the waves!! Great pictures, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would go horseback riding on the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since I have never ridden a horse, I would probably try that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like to do all of those things you mentioned! Love the photos. The fruit stand photo makes me hungry and I love seeing the horses under the trees. Your boys looked like they had a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kim!

    It looks like the boys and you had a wonderful time! It looks like you all had a wonderful time and I wish I had been there to take a horseback ride with you all!

    I guess you could say I'm a sucker for animals of all kinds but the cat you saw on the way back to the stable won my heart! When I was growing up I always wanted a kitten but my oldest sister was allergic to cats so it wasn't until my husband, then boyfriend, bought a cat home to me when we were first dating that I finally had one of my own. That little black kitten Fred was the one thing that kept me sane when he was deployed. Whenever I was feeling the stress of wondering if the love of my life was okay or in harms way he would jump up on my shoulder and purr in my ear and I found a sense of relief that everything was going to work out for us.

    He came home safely but after he finished his duty he joined the Navy Reserves and whenever he was deployed my cats through the years were always there to bring me the calm moments I needed to get me through the time he was gone.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty. I love how tropical islands are all so different. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete