Saturday, April 18, 2020

Aloha to Grimspound - Bronze Age Settlement on Dartmoor (Devon, England)




There rose ever, dark against the evening sky, the long, gloomy curve of the moor, broken by jagged and sinister hills. 

The sinister hills in THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES are home to 
Grimspound.  From English Heritage (link),

The best known of many prehistoric settlements on Dartmoor, Grimspound dates from the late Bronze Age (about 1450–700 BC). The remains of 24 stone roundhouses survive here, within a massive boundary wall about 150 metres in diameter. 

Let's go with an extra large with an image from Vince Hogg on
Wikipedia




Here is an entrance to perimeter. 


Imagine living in one of the stone homes (with a thatched roof).


I am amazed that archaeologists can look at stones and understand their purpose.


  
The animals which graze on the open moorland don't pay attention to the history ... or the tourists.



When I returned to my car, I bumped into a "hen" party biking around Dartmoor!  They had electric bikes to help them up the hills. 



I recently read DEATH ON DARTMOOR by Robin Paige.  I was curious to read how the author captured Dartmoor.  Let me say she succeeded, including scenes in and around Grimspound.  I even sent an email to the author to tell her that!  


I know Stonehenge is a bigger draw, but I recommend Grimspound and other prehistoric sites on Dartmoor as they are more intimate (and less crowded) to explore.

Mahalo,

Kim

Next: Princetown



1 comment: