Thursday, April 16, 2020

Aloha to Gidleigh - A Dartmoor Village (Devon, England)



Back in August 2018, I was traveling around Devon, England with my mother.  She spent one weekend with friends, giving me the opportunity to explore Dartmoor on my own.

Driving around Dartmoor is not for the faint heart - the secondary roads to the small villages wind around hedgerows.  Often times, the road can only accommodate one vehicle - be prepared to back up to a passing area to let the oncoming tractor to pass!  Even though my mother grew up in Devon, she did not like the winding roads.  Hence, I used my "weekend off" to find those charming hamlets tucked away on Dartmoor National Park - an open moorland with granite outcrops overlooking picturesque valleys.

As I searched for prehistoric sites, I noticed signs for "Afternoon Tea" at the Gidleigh church. 


Gidleigh overflowed with gorgeous flowers.


I was delighted to see the sweet treats offered for Afternoon Tea - a monthly fundraiser for the church.


The fifteenth century church was surprising bright inside the granite exterior.    


The young people volunteering for the tea fundraiser demonstrated their community spirit.


I love the fresh flowers everywhere on Dartmoor!


What is your favorite treat for Afternoon Tea?

Mahalo,

Kim

Next:  Flowers in Chagford






2 comments: